This is one of my favorite challenges. It was introduced to by Laura*. Thanks Laura. Here are some ideas around the rules. Feel free to use them and the image or tweak to suit for your own clients and members. And if by the time you read this July has been and gone, there are 170 Ironman events in a year. Why not re-name it and tie your version of this challenge in with one of your favourite locations in the up-and-coming months.
- Take the whole month of July to complete the distances.
- Do a little each day or week, or the whole lot at once.
- Indoor bikes and/or treadmills can be used for some or all of the distances, providing they record distance. No guesstimates.
- Wheelchairs can be used for the walking leg and a wheelchair hand-bike for the cycling leg.
- ‘Swimming’ means most of a person’s body is submerged in water, they are moving under their own steam (whether aqua jogging, freestyle, dog paddle etc) and when their feet touch the ground they can’t move forward and include that in their official distance. However, they can use flotation devices like kick boards, life vests and flippers.
- If there is no pool within 20km, people can do a 5km kayak or 5km on an indoor rower instead.
*Laura was an entrant of the Catch Fitness 20 Week Challenge, and trained by PT Amanda (Armitage) Baird.
Laura shared the challenge with our other entrants and a from memory a whopping 180 signed up to the first year we rolled it out. The most fantastic pics and stories of people nailing out there distances came in all month. It was such a success I rolled out every year since.